Did you miss our founder, Dana, on Nonprofit Radio last Friday, August 23, 2013? Not to worry, we have links to the podcast right here so that you can listen at your leisure and learn all about how crowdfunding can help you and your organization reach more people and raise more money than ever before.
Host Tony Martignetti had her on to talk about the new trend of crowdfunding for nonprofits: what it is, the best way to set up your site and how to market it successfully.
Click here to access Tony’s blog post about the show — you can click on the archive to access it in iTunes or simply click on “Listen to the August 23rd archived post” for a direct streaming link. He calls the show ‘Cool Crowdfunding’ and Dana is on during the first half.
We hope you enjoy the information on the show! If you have any questions about how Deposit a Gift can help your organization utilize crowdsourced fundraising for an innovative approach to your crowdfunding, please drop us a line. We’re happy to offer personalized support.
Weddings, baby showers and dream vacations aren’t the only big events that happen in our lives. For some of us, building a business is one of the most significant, and like planning a wedding, starting a venture requires a lot of time and effort. As founder of Deposit a Gift and a business owner myself, I can sympathize with all the entrepreneurs out there working hard to raise money for their business. Luckily, our registry is perfect for anything requiring cash donations, entrepreneurial dreams included! Best of all for entrepreneurs, creating a registry on Deposit a Gift is very easy and completely stress-free.
1. Share Your Story: When you’re looking for the funds to start your business, your loved ones are always the first ones you call. They’ll want to know all about your venture and how they can help you make it a reality. So let them know: what sort of business do you want to start, why do you want to start it and what are your goals? Your family and friends will be all the happier to contribute if they know just how much it means to you. The Welcome Note and About Us page are perfect places to divulge your story. And remember, make it personal!
2. Create Your Wish List of Needs: Let your guests see what they’re giving money toward. It’s much more satisfying to know that you helped your close friend obtain that brand new office printer than to simply hand over the cash and not know how it’s being used.
3. Thank Them!: Showing your appreciation is a must and should be done before you set about spending your new funds. So send everyone a short thank-you note expressing how much their donation means to you. Another excellent way to say thank you is to let your loved ones know how things are going to you; they wouldn’t have contributed if they didn’t care.
Owning a business can be tough, so grab this opportunity and let your loved ones help ease the burden! With an entrepreneur registry your dreams will be that much closer to becoming a reality. To see some great examples, check out:
- BC West’s Fundraiser to Open a Ballet Studio
- Crowded Fire Theater’s Fundraiser for New Space
- Author, Kayeen, Needs to Get to LA for the NAACP Image Awards, for Which He is a Nominee
Weddings are all about helping a couple celebrate the start of their new life together. What’s more important to a new life than a home to live it in? Since founding Deposit a Gift, I’ve met a lot of couples who don’t place table settings and blenders at the top of their priorities, but rather, they want to buy their first home. For them, I always recommend a Home Down Payment Registry. Perfect for the couple who needs a little help with the down payment and for the guest looking to give a truly meaningful gift. And with Deposit a Gift, creating a New Home Registry is a cinch!
1. Spill the Details: Introduce guests to your wishes with a Registry Note. Tell them all about your home ownership plans and how important this is to you. No detail is insignificant! Your loved ones want to know everything about your new home and the life you’ll build in it.
2. Add Your Gifts: Using an alternative registry doesn’t have to mean forgoing the gift-giving experience. Rather than setting up a general Home Fund for friends to donate to, add all the different items that will be a part of your new home so guests can contribute to something specific. With many options, they can choose the gift that they think you’ll love most. Be sure to click the blue Rapid Registry button to get setup in a flash!
3. Don’t Forget to Personalize: Take advantage of the Welcome Note and About Us page to make a personal experience for visitors. They want to know that they couple they love is behind the registry. Tell them your story and your plans, and make sure they know exactly how important your new home is to you.
For the gift that truly keeps on giving, a new home can’t be beat! With a Deposit a Gift registry, give your guests the option to give you a gift that lasts a lifetime.
As Deposit a Gift’s founder, it’s a question I’ve given a lot of thought to: Why do we give wedding gifts? A wedding celebrates a couple embarking on a life together – certainly something worth marking with a gift! This is a huge occasion to celebrate, and it might seem that some of the standard wedding gifts – think china and toasters – just don’t quite make sense for couples today. The honeymoon, on the other hand, is a hugely exciting experience that truly marks a wedding in the biggest way. What guest wouldn’t want to use their gift to send the couple on their first big experience together? If you think a honeymoon registry is right for you, we’ve got the scoop on setting it up!
1. Share Your Story: Your guests include all your closest loved ones – friends, family, and more – they want to know how your story started and where the future will take you. Use your Welcome Note to fill them in on your story and all the fun your future life as a married couple holds — especially the travel part! People love living vicariously
2. Create a Gift List: Your friends and family want to give you something special that you’ll always remember them for. Rather than a Honeymoon Fund that accepts generic donations, setup a registry with all the exciting details of your honeymoon. Think plane tickets, nights in the hotel, scuba diving, and any other memories you plan to make — this way they can contribute to, and be responsible for, something specific.
3. Get Personal: Gift giving is a very personal experience – picking out that perfect gift that you know will put a smile on the recipients’ face is very gratifying! Make sure your loved ones can achieve that intimate experience by personalizing your wedding site as much as you can. Write a registry note to fill them in on every detail and add descriptions to your gifts so they feel a part of the plan.
A wedding is all about starting a new life together. And for memories that will truly last a lifetime, the honeymoon experience can’t be beat. Setup your own honeymoon registry today!
Hey there! Time for a new installment of ‘Ask Dana’…today we’re tackling the question that I get from SO many couples: “What do we register for if we’ve been living together forever and already have a house full of all the traditional gifts you’d find on a registry? We just don’t want any more STUFF!”
Never fear, not all gift lists have to be filled with silverware, linens or other unnecessary items. And if you are one of these couples who doesn’t want more stuff, you’ll find a cash wedding registry to be a great solution. One of the benefits of an alternative wedding registry is that you can register for cash gifts towards anything that fits your lifestyle.
Here are 5 ideas to create a cash wedding registry with personalized gifts that are perfect for what you need at this time in your life.
1. Honeymoon Registry
If your style is go big or go home and you’ve forever got travel on the brain, let your guests gift you the honeymoon of a lifetime. Whether you want to tour the Costa Rican rain forest, scuba dive in shark filled waters, traipse around Europe or just collapse on a private beach, you can use your honeymoon registry to make your dream vacation a reality by creating a gift list of all the parts of your fantasy trip. Don’t forget to take tons of pictures – the perfect complement to your thank you notes!
2. Home Improvement Registry
Got a fixer upper? Maybe you need to replace the dishwasher? Or perhaps you’re just saving for your first home. Believe it or not you can register for these things with a cash gift registry! Though most big home items are too expensive as individual gifts, with a cash wedding registry you can break up the prices into smaller contributions so that anyone can chip in. If your style is looking towards the future, creating a house fund registry may be the best option for you. When everything’s ready, have a house-warming party to show everyone what they helped bring to life.
3. Newlywed Activities Registry
The excitement shouldn’t end with your wedding day! Create a newlywed activities registry to continue the honeymoon throughout the first year and beyond. Customize a gift list of all the activities you both enjoy, such as museums, theater, or even a cooking and karate classes. Just because life is back to normal does not mean it has to be boring. Again, take some wonderful photos to share with your friends and families all of the fun they’ve made possible.
4. Personal Services Registry
The first year of marriage can often set the tone for years to come. Think about what petty things could be the cause for unnecessary disagreements and avoid them by registering for services to make your life easier. Make sure the house stays clean and tidy with the help of a cleaning lady. Stay fit and healthy for each other by hiring a personal trainer. Whatever the case may be, treating yourself to some practical gifts may be the perfect way to ease the transition into marriage.
5. Charity Registry
Why not use your wedding to raise money for a cause near to your heart? Create a charity registry that allows guests to contribute towards causes you have always loved. It’s a nice way to integrate giving into a special moment when you are receiving so much. Whether you choose a local organization or relief for the latest disaster, your alternative wedding registry can make a difference anywhere in the world.
Be creative, have fun and let your personality shine through — with these key ingredients, your wedding registry is sure to be a hit with guests
Today we’re blogging about one of my favorite causes: going green! There are so many ways we can adjust our habits to be better for the earth, and wedding planning offers us many green possibilities. A fabulous place to start is with a Deposit a Gift registry.
A Deposit a Gift registry is more than just a registry – it’s an entire wedding website! You can use it to keep guests posted about travel and accommodations, and to send email blasts with any updates. No need to send out dozens of paper mailings to keep them in the loop.
No Shipping, No Gift Wrap, No Returns
A standard registry means shipping or traveling with gifts, wasting paper on gift wrap, and the inevitable returns, none of which is a very sustainable practice. An alternative registry that allows you to register for the cash you need to buy what you want lets you avoid these eco-unfriendly practices.
Green Gifts Galore!
The elements of a green lifestyle don’t always find a place on a traditional registry, but with Deposit a Gift you can ask for just about anything. Think solar panels for a new home, membership in a local food co-op, or donations to a green charity.
All it takes is a few tweaks to make your lifestyle greener. Happy planning!
By now, you know all the benefits of an alternative wedding registry and you know that they’re perfect for honeymoons. But you might be left wondering, “How can we have a shower when there are no physical gifts yet?” After all, the point of a shower is to shower you with gifts, right? Well, if you take advantage of some of the tools Deposit a Gift offers you, you’ll have no trouble at all throwing the perfect shower!
Get the Guests on Board
This is an idea that many guests are not familiar with, so make sure they understand the idea before the shower begins. Include a note on your registry to let guests know why exactly you’ve chosen this new kind of registry. Describe their contribution in terms of giving the gift of experience. They’ll be thrilled to know that their gift will go towards a lifetime of memories.
Print a Gift Certificate
When a guest purchases a gift, they get the option to print out a gift certificate:
The certificate is a great way to bring a tangible gift to the shower. You can even get creative with it too. For example, for a gift for a tropical honeymoon, try wrapping the certificate around a towel or putting it in a beach bag with other beach goodies.
It’s All in the Theme
Turn your honeymoon locale into the theme of your shower! Try incorporating the food and music of your chosen destination into the shower. It’ll give the guests a taste of what their present has given you. Like these French macaroons for a Parisian honeymoon shower…
Photo Credit: Style Me Pretty
With just a little effort, you’ll be sure to have a shower to remember! And remember, we offer a monthly prize for the most creative shower. If you think that’s yours, then take a look at the contest details here!
“Do we really even need a registry?” It’s the question many couples ask when they start to get fed up with the registry process. Hours spent in department stores, arguments with your beloved over china patterns, and unsolicited advice from guests are not the ingredients to a happy experience. Especially for couples who don’t even need anything found on a traditional registry! But forgoing the registry will cause more problems than it solves. Here’s why you need one.
- Make it easy on your guests: It’s a celebration, and guests are going to get you a gift whether you ask for it or not. And they don’t like roaming through department stores any more than you do! Guests want to make you happy, and they can only do that if they know what you want.
- Make it easy on yourself: So what happens when guests buy you gifts that you didn’t ask for in the first place? You end up with a whole bunch of stuff you don’t want! You’ll face hours of time making returns and exchanges, and you’ll inevitably end up with junk that you just don’t know what do with.
- Plan for the future: Sure you might think you don’t need 12 fancy table settings or multiple sets of guest towels, but just imagine all the circumstances that come with married life. There are so many things you can prepare for with a registry. And if you really think you’ve got everything, your honeymoon and future experiences are the perfect items to add.
There are plenty of reasons that a registry will make your life and your guests’ easier. But if you’re totally stumped about what to put on it, there’s so much more than just the usual. Think: your honeymoon, a home down payment, or even charity. All perfect for a cash gift registry! Trust us, your guests will be thanking YOU!
It’s a problem I’ve heard a thousand times – so many generous gifts that you just don’t need! How can you turn the many small gifts from your friends and family into the one big one that you really want?
We’ve got a solution for you, and just in time! The holidays are already upon us – a time for family, fun and gift-giving. All too often though, holiday gifts seem to accumulate into piles of stuff you don’t need. Sweaters, books and knick-knacks galore, when what you really wanted was a new television or help saving for a great trip. With Deposit a Gift, it’s easy to set up a gift list to facilitate more inspired (and practical!) gifting. It’s a great way to share your interests and let friends and family contribute to the perfect gift for you, easily via credit card, no matter where they live.
Setup Is Simple:
- Create your site and populate your registry with the gifts you really want. Big-ticket items like electronics, event tickets or travel plans are perfect.
- When friends and family ask what you’d like, don’t leave them hanging! Point them in the direction of your registry.
- Keep track of their generous gifts, so that Thank You notes are a snap.
Group Gifting Is For More Than Just The Holidays:
- Birthdays: In place of many small gifts, let friends and family contribute to something bigger and more meaningful. Or use your birthday as an excuse to collect funds in your honor towards a charitable cause. It’s especially perfect for children when you want to cut down on the clutter. And relatives who don’t know the kids well will be grateful for a little guidance!
- Weddings: For the newlyweds who prefer gifts toward their honeymoon or first home instead of china or crystal they don’t need.
- Gifts for the Teacher: No more mugs! Use a cash gift registry to wrangle fellow parents to give your child’s teacher something special – every teacher can use some extra dough and this way, no one parent is left holding the bill.
The holiday season is bound to bring with it wasted gifts a’plenty – be proactive with a gift list to avoid the returns, exchanges and headaches that can sometimes come after.