Baby shower in the works? Invite the boys! Jennifer Durbin aka the Clueless Chick knows how to make it a shower to remember.
Why should Mommy-to-be be the only one enjoying a fabulous baby shower? When it’s time to plan your best friend’s baby shower don’t forget that Daddy-to-be is on this wild ride with her so feel free to include him in the celebration. Recruit your hubby, or Daddy-to-be’s best friend to co-host with you so that Daddy will feel just as included (and you’ll have someone to keep your frilly tea party ideas in check).
Including Daddy may mean that you can’t have an Afternoon Tea or Spa Day Baby Shower, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t have a fabulous shower! By skipping traditional shower games and activities, guests will have more time to hang out and enjoy a fabulous party. What could be better?
Co-ed Baby Shower Themes:
When you’re picking a theme for your Co-ed Baby Shower, think about Mommy and Daddy.
- For an active couple, throw an outdoor activity themed shower: “Let’s get Sara and Tim all geared up to take Baby Martin backpacking”.
- If they love to grill out, pick a “Bun in the Oven and Burgers on the Grill” theme complete with lawn games, music and a build your own burger bar.
You can still incorporate the more traditional shower touches like a corsage for Mommy, and how about an “I’m the Daddy” hat:
When you’re planning your co-ed shower menu, don’t forget that the guys likely prefer pigs in a blanket over petit fours so throw in a few snacks and finger foods usually reserved for tailgates and everyone will be pleased. If you’re feeling extra ambitious, create a spread that starts with chicken wings and ends with cucumber tea sandwiches. After all, the baby is the ultimate compilation of Mommy and Daddy’s favorite things.
Daddy Friendly Menu Ideas:
- Daddy’s favorite beer (just because Mommy can’t drink doesn’t mean you have to skip alcohol all together – just be sure to make Mommy’s favorite mocktail)
- Pigs in a Blanket (hey, why not?!)
- Nacho Bar
- Finger foods, finger foods, and well, finger foods
What could be more fun than sliders and corn chips?
If you still can’t talk Daddy into a co-ed baby shower, why not throw him a party of his own? Once the date for the baby shower is set, plan a surprise party for him on the same day:
- Have his best friend take him golfing
- Schedule a guys’ night out
- Get him tickets to his favorite sporting event
- Find a local go-cart track where he and the guys can race
As always, the most important part of planning a baby shower is to have fun with it, and make the shower something Mommy and Daddy will look back on for years. Incorporate some personal touches and don’t forget to take lots of pictures!
For even more great tips pick up a copy of Party Planning Tips for the Clueless Chick (use coupon code SAVE25 to save 25%).
Until next time,
aka Chick #1
Jennifer Durbin is the author of the Tips for the Clueless ChickTM series, the ultimate Pre- to Post- Pregnancy guides for those times in our lives when we all feel a little clueless. Jennifer is the Howcast.com Traveling with Baby Expert, blogger for Carolina Parent Magazine and can be seen regularly on NBC17 and ABC11. As a busy working mother of two Jennifer’s goal is to uncomplicate your life with her tips at CluelessChick.com.