You’re engaged! And you’re looking forward to your special day where you’re the star. Before you start planning, consider an option you may not have thought of – a wedding at sea. Karolina Shenton of The Cruise Web is here to tell you how to make it happen.
There aren’t multiple TV shows about planning and putting on a wedding because it’s stress-free. A wedding is a huge operation. That’s why more and more couples are choosing to make their day truly theirs by getting married while at sea. I’ve been a travel agent for some time now, and I can tell you with each passing year the cruise lines are getting better and better at arranging beautiful weddings.
If you decide to skip town and plan a wedding at sea here are a few pointers.
- Above all, seek the help of a travel agent. Whether you cruise to the Caribbean or Antarctica, you will have a lot of different options. Only a travel agent has the experience to help you navigate the options.
- Few ships perform ceremonies while in international waters, so if you want to get married while in the middle of the ocean you’re limited to the following cruise lines:
- Azamara Club Cruises
- Celebrity Cruises
- Cunard Line
- Princess Cruises
- Royal Caribbean International
- If you want to get married in a beautiful port, remember you have to get a valid marriage certificate to guarantee a legal wedding. Your travel agent and the cruise line should be able to help you find the necessary information, as it is specific to the destination you choose.
- To bring the family or not. One of the beauties of a cruise is that your whole family can be onboard and able participate in the festivities, yet can still have a vacation of their own. Everything is your decision. If you do invite friends and family remember that many cruise lines will give you extra perks or even a free cruise if your party includes a certain number of booked staterooms.
Lastly just remember that a wedding at sea can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be. The fastest way to take away your stress and worry is to find a travel agent that is knowledgeable about cruising. It will all flow from there.
Karolina Shenton is a cruise consultant at The Cruise Web. The Cruise Web is a travel agency that specializes in cruising. The expert cruise consultants focus on providing travelers with the best value for their time and money in finding and booking a cruise vacation! Find more on Facebook or Twitter.