The Redlands Fox was built in 1927 and opened officially on December 28, 1928 with celebrities in attendance from Hollywood. The film shown at the time was Laurel & Hardy in “Habeas Corpus“. Also, “Naughty Baby” starring Alice White and Jack Mulhall and Vaudeville shows were featured there. Shortly thereafter, the silent movies started with the Wurlitzer organ in place. Then the talkies began and the Fox went through many changes. The biggest change was to a multi-plex cinema. In the 40’s, the backstage of the theatre was walled out to make 2 multiplex cinemas and the original theatre was no more.
During the last 30 years, the theater has been totally unavailable to the public. For the first time in all those years, the theatre is finally open and the public is elated. Several times a day, drop-in's come in and are filled with nostalgia as they remember their youth, smoking in the balcony, or snuggling with their date, or hanging out with the guys. Redlanders are thrilled to be reunited with their beloved theatre.
The Fox was built in a Spanish Colonial Revival style and maintains its integrity in the lobbies upstairs and downstairs, which were lovingly restored. The “Ballroom” is now a banquet facility with crystal and wrought iron chandeliers, specialty lighting, with an acoustically superior sound system. The room is draped with red velvet and gold with draped mirrors and the original praesidium.The downstairs seating was all removed and the floor was leveled and turned into a ballroom that seats 400 people comfortably and 700 standing for concerts.